Mushroom Cultivation requires some willingness to learn, some basic lab equipment and a lot of patience.
This blog will give you an overview of the different steps on your way to harvesting fresh gourmet mushrooms. A detailed description of each step will follow (See the first one: How to Prepare Spawn).
The easiest way to grow your own Mushrooms at home is a Mushroom Grow Kit. You can get ones that are already fully colonized and ready to fruit, or you can purchase a kit consisting of the culture, grain and substrate to create your own grow kit and learn about the different steps as you move along (like this one).
These are the steps of Mushroom Cultivation:
- Strain Selection: Choose a strain of mushrooms you want to grow and obtain either a spore print or a culture of that species
- Preparation of Grain (see How to Grow Mushrooms Part 1)
- Grain Inoculation: Inoculate your grain (e.g. rye or wbs) with your chosen culture.
- Mixing of Spawn into Substrate: Once your spawn is fully colonized, mix it with your pasteurized bulk substrate
- Fruiting: Move your colonized Medium into a fruiting chamber which contains proper lighting and humidity and fresh air.
- Harvesting: Wait for mushrooms to mature. The correct harvesting technique depends on the type of mushroom you are growing.
Click picture to expand or visit www.subfarms.com for more detailed information and everything you need to grow mushrooms at home!